SALT LAKE CITY — Missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will once again begin to return to areas outside their home countries after a “substantial number” of missionaries from foreign countries were called home earlier this year.
Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff said the faith is monitoring world events carefully; as a result, assignments will be made cautiously.
“At this time, the Church has begun sending a very limited number of these missionaries to assignments outside their home countries,” he said on Wednesday.
“This process is deliberate and cautious. Because of the ongoing pandemic, all missionary travel is dependent upon local conditions and air travel restrictions, and some missionaries may not depart for several months.
“We recognize conditions can change rapidly, and we will continue to closely monitor world events and make adjustments as needed. The safety of our missionaries and those they serve is our top priority.”
Woodruff says once the church calls those missionaries to serve outside their home countries, they will schedule their travel and receive notification of their itineraries from their mission offices.
“We ask that missionaries and their families not contact the Church Travel Office, embassies, or consuls about their travel plans or documents. When traveling, missionaries will be instructed to follow established public health guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19. After they arrive in their new assignments, missionaries will quarantine for the required period and then take part in activities appropriate to local circumstances.
Today’s Top Stories
- Thomas Saunders – Rocky Mountain Junior High
- The most generous state in America is Utah – again
- A new conversation: Dave & Dujanovic starts June 4
- Body of Arizona man recovered from Lake Powell marina
- Child poverty in Utah is down from last year
- Changing water flow leads to more bugs in Grand Canyon
- In-depth: Black police officers talk race relations in Utah
- To eat, or not to eat breakfast — that is the question
- ‘Golden Boy’-turned-addict finds newfound life after prison
- Rose Park Connect: Partnership to provide internet access