WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — Police in West Valley City say a homeowner fought off a knife-wielding attacker overnight with the help of his shotgun. According to police, the suspect was reportedly going around to cars and homes in a neighborhood to see if anything was unlocked.
Shotgun never fired, but helps stop attempted robbery
The incident happened late Thursday in the area of 3200 South and 3600 West at around 11:40 p.m. Shortly after, cops received a call about a fight. Upon arrival, they discovered a man with a bloody head lying in the street and another man standing nearby with a shotgun in his hand.
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) November 6, 2020
An initial investigation leads officers to believe the man on the ground was a burglar, who was attempting to break in the home of the man with the gun. Lieutenant Bill Merritt, with the West Valley City Police Department, says the burglar reportedly charged at the homeowner with a knife.
“He had a shotgun with him, not the suspect, but the homeowner did,” explains Merritt. “It sounds like the suspect may have at one point charged the homeowner, with a knife in his hand, and the homeowner took the shotgun and struck him in the face with it.”
A bad headache, but nothing else
With weapons reportedly involved on both sides of the incident, officers are relieved that no serious injuries are being reported.
“The shotgun was never fired, but he did hit the suspect in the face and the suspect is bleeding pretty good,” he explains. “He’s going to be fine. He’s on his way to the hospital to get treated before he heads down to jail.”
The man who tried to break into the home could face charges of residential burglary and aggravated assault, among others.
Officers say the suspect “is known” to police and so far he has not been cooperating with the investigation. No identities have been released at this time.
Today’s Top Stories
- Excelsior Academy first-graders moved to online school
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces first ever African-American General Authority
- Feds warn UFO enthusiasts against storming Area 51: The military ‘stands ready’
- Salt Lake County restaurants ready to reopen indoor dining
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map
- Forest Service letting the East Fork Fire burn
- Police say West Valley City man planned mass shooting during SLC protest
- AP changes writing style to capitalize ”b” in Black
- West Kearns Elem. placed in shelter in place protocol Tuesday for around an hour, no threat…
- Businesses in downtown Salt Lake hope in-person General Conference will return ASAP