MIDVALE, Utah — One woman is dead and a man was rushed to the hospital in serious condition after a shooting in a hotel parking lot in Midvale. Investigators say they seek two possible suspects, with very little other information to go on.
Police were called to the scene of the Tru Hotel by Hilton in Midvale on 7200 South near I-15, after a report of an attack with a weapon, which eventually turned into reports of a shooting. When officers arrived on the scene, they found a woman dead in the parking lot.
Unified Police Sgt. Melody Cutler says the shooting also wounded a man who ran to the nearby Winco Foods for help.
“He was initially treated by the Winco employees who made makeshift tourniquets. An officer came in and applied another tourniquet. He is currently in serious condition at IMC,” Cutler said.
Officials expect the man to fully recover.
Police recovered a weapon on the scene, but could not say if it was the only weapon involved or if there was more than one shooter. They also don’t know the motive, yet.
“We don’t know if there was a relationship of any sort between both the parties who were shot or who may have done this and what transpired,” Cutler said.
Investigators say witnesses saw a man and a woman leaving the scene on foot; however, the description of them is vague.
“The only description we have of them is the male was wearing dark clothing and the female had on a floral shirt and jeans,” she said.
Police are trying to find the two people who left the scene, as well as people inside a white 2005 Cadillac that may have been nearby when the shooting happened. Cutler says they hope to find a lot of surveillance footage from security cameras from the hotel and the grocery store.
Today’s Top Stories
- Winter solstice 2019: A short day that’s long on ancient traditions
- No school for kids at one Utah school, courtesy of a garbage fire
- Jared Nicol, Hildale council member, jailed on suspicion of stalking
- Planning to watch election results? It may take a while.
- Utah woman says bison flipped her into air, broke her ankle
- Lay Kou- Southland Elementary
- Inside Sources: How criminals, addicts and homeless transform their lives free of charge
- Misdemeanor trial date set for Lori Vallow Daybell
- UDOT going forward with West Davis Corridor
- Candidate Conversation: Jenny Wilson for Senate