Weber Area Dispatch received a 911 call that Friday night from a woman who said she could see an armed man trying to break into a trailer parked in front of her home.
The video provides a look into what happened when officers arrived. After calling for the man to come out with his hands up, the man began running toward them from behind the trailer. He then fired several shots in the direction of the deputies.
At that point, the deputies from the Weber County Sheriff’s office as well as a Morgan County deputy responded with gunfire.
An initial document provided by Weber County indicated that the man who had been shot received medical assistance, but he later died of his injuries.
Weber County officials say the investigation is ongoing and that at this time, no conclusions have been drawn regarding whether the officers acted consistently with their internal policy or with the law.
They say that the video is being released at this time to help the media and the public come to a better understanding of what happened that night.
The Weber County deputy reportedly remains on administrative leave pending the results of the investigation.
Today’s Top Stories
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Utah’s number of deaths from COVID-19 jumps to 8
- Utah Utes let go of Coach K after 10 seasons
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- New dress guidelines announced for male missionaries — in some areas
- Democrats planning to boycott Senate Judiciary vote to advance Barrett nomination
- Tooele School District employees will repay $10K for travel
- Lori Vallow Daybell’s bond reduces to $1 million in Idaho
- ‘Golden Girls’ recast with Black cast including Tracee Ellis Ross and Regina King
- A wrap-up of Utah election results — and the races we can’t call yet