SALT LAKE CITY — On Saturday, the Utah Department of Health (UDOH) reported that 5,352 more people tested positive for COVID-19 across the state.
However, because of what they call technical difficulties, UDOH says some cases that were not reported on Friday were added to today’s count. “Approximately 1,300 of the positive cases reported below would have been reported yesterday,” a statement from UDOT read.
Still, the number of new cases reported on Saturday, minus the approximately 1,300 cases which would have been reported on Friday according to UDOH, is a record high for new case counts.
The total number of Utahns who have tested positive for COVID-19 is now 151,141. Currently there are 487 people hospitalized with COVID-19 in Utah.
The rolling 7-day average for Utahns who have tested positive for COVID-19 is 2,957 per day, which equates to 23.6%.
Saturday’s update from Utah health officials also includes the news that nine more Utahns have died from COVID-19. Of those nine, two people were in Salt Lake County, two were in Davis County, two were in Washington County, and one person each in Tooele, Utah, and Summit Counties.
Seven of the Utah residents whose deaths were reported today were between the ages of 65-84.
One was between the ages of 45-64, and one was between the ages of 25-44.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Live Mic: Ideas for needed police reform
- Need something last minute? Here’s what is open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Doctor: Utah’s COVID-19 infection rate is a concern, hospitalizations stabilize
- F-35 Demonstration Team to hold behind-the-scenes performance Friday
- Salt Lake City School District taking heat for canceling school at the last minute
- White House: National Guard, federal police en route to Capitol to disperse protesters
- WATCH: President Trump says he’s doing “very well” in video before heading…
- Trump outstripping Obama on pace of executive orders
- Three arrests in connection with Sapphire Drive homicide in Sandy
- All six female Utah state senators walk out to protest invasive abortion ultrasound