Update: 6:04 p.m.:
KEARNS, Utah — The suspect from a shooting in Kearns on Saturday has been identified as 18-year old Kaden Christiansen. Unified Police confirmed Christiansen was booked into jail on one count of manslaughter after shooting a 15-year-old identified as RK.
RK died on scene after suffering a gun shot wound to the torso, according to affidavit documents.
Unified Police officers were dispatched to the scene near 5155 Alex Street and 4180 West around 1:11 a.m. Saturday. Christiansen reportedly admitted to shooting RK, telling detectives he was pretending to be a police officer and arresting the victim.
Shortly after, Christiansen said he accidentally pulled the trigger. The 18-year-old reports he initially believed the firearm was on safety and that it was unloaded because he had taken the magazine out.
Christiansen also reported smoking about one or two grams of marijuana before the incident.
Unified Police Detective Kevin Mallory told KSL that the initial call came from a neighbor reporting some sort of a commotion. The neighbor identified Christiansen as being in the same room as RK when the shooting happened.
“We received additional information that somebody may have been shot, so fire responded as well,” Mallory said. “They attempted life-saving measures on the victim, but unfortunately, he passed away and it was confirmed to be a 15-year-old male.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- Some children have ended up in Utah’s hospitals with COVID-19
- Grants will help Huntsman Mental Health Institute determine rural needs
- One dead, one seriously injured in West Valley Shooting
- Hurricane State Liquor Store closes, employee tests positive for COVID-19
- Intermountain Healthcare: COVID-19 vaccine changes mammogram guidelines
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- Italian socialist Sassoli to be president of EU Parliament
- The national debt could surge prices on goods in a post-pandemic world, says BYU economist
- Shay Ballard, Sandy City