SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Utah’s congressional delegation is organizing a fundraising campaign for a tight Georgia Senate race.
Raising money for the Georgia Senate race
Rep. Chris Stewart, R-Utah, and his team appear to be leading the fundraising charge, with a virtual event set for next month.
According to the Deseret News, Sen. Mike Lee, Reps. John Curtis, Burgess Owens and Blake Moore, all also R-Utah, will all take part in the joint event, while Republican Sen. Mitt Romney’s involvement is not confirmed.
“The Democrats are desperate to win these two seats,” Stewart said in a video posted on Twitter. “If they do, then they have absolute power. They will change our nation forever. We can not let them do that.”
Our country is under attack and the Georgia Senate races are the last line of defense.
I’m announcing that I will be matching, dollar for dollar, donations up to $10k total. 100% of the donations raised will go to the Georgia Senate races. Please join me! https://t.co/O8mClEJkaN pic.twitter.com/Dn0snv6Jbs
— Chris Stewart (@StewartforUtah) November 24, 2020
Proceeds from the event will go to the Georgia Battleground Fund, a joint fundraising committee between the incumbent Georgia Republican senators and the National Republican Senatorial Committee for the runoff Senate election.
“If you donate, I will match up to $10,000,” he said. “Together, we can make a difference. None of us will keep a penny of this. [It’s] all going to Georgia to these critical races.”
The two Senate seats in Georgia went to runoffs following the Nov. 3 election, because no candidate won at least 50% of the vote to secure the seat. Republican Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler are facing Democrats Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, respectively, in the Jan. 5, 2021 election.
Control of the U.S. Senate is at stake, with the GOP currently holding 50 seats to the Democrats’ 48. If Democrats win both Georgia seats, Vice President-elect Kamala Harris will have the deciding vote in the event of a tie.
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- 2 Utah families bonded after organ donation saved man’s life
- Fake news: what it is, and how it can influence politics
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- How does lake effect snow work? A primer
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- BYU rallies to beat Tennessee 29-26 in OT
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Man accused of attacking jogger in Kaysville at gunpoint while intoxicated