ST. GEORGE, Utah — A 15-year-old who went missing Friday after hiking with family has been found, Washington County authorities reported Saturday. Officials say Britton Kelsey was found around 4:30 p.m. and was reunited with his family.
It’s not yet known what his condition is as officials report he is still being evaluated.
Kelsey went missing around 3 p.m. Friday while hiking the Red Mountain Trail in St. George. Reports indicate Kelsey separated from his party because he felt tired, and decided to wait for the second half of his group.
“It was reported that Kelsey had fallen behind the first group and was believed to have met up with the second group,” said Lt. David Crouse in an email to KSL.
However, the second group reported they never met up with Kelsey — prompting the Friday night search to locate the 15-year-old. Both search-and-rescue volunteers, as well as family friends, searched for Kelsey amid temperatures that dipped below freezing late Friday.
The search crew disbanded near midnight and reunited around 7 a.m. Saturday.
“Volunteers and friends of the family have also begun an independent search of the area,” Crouse said. “The Sheriff’s Office is asking that any volunteers assisting the family wear bright-colored clothing in an effort to be clearly identified and not complicate the aerial search efforts.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Latest E. coli outbreak spreads to Utah
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- Casey Scott, 200 days sober, opens up about the problems that led to his horrifying crash
- Tulsi Gabbard files lawsuit against Hillary Clinton for defamation
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…
- Russell M. Nelson to speak at NAACP convention
- Provo High School football game moves back home, frustrating educators
- One dead, five hurt in head-on crash at Bonneville Salt Flats
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Utah a good home for autonomous drone development, military one reason