SOUTH SALT LAKE – The Utah Food Bank typically hands out 2 million pounds of food every month. Since April, demand has gone up and that number has tripled to 6 million pounds per month.
Many people are using the food bank for the first time because either their hours were cut or they lost their jobs entirely due to COVID-19 restrictions.
“[That helped] keep people in their car and social distance and keep everyone safe. So not only were we dealing with a new element of audience, we were also dealing with a whole new set of operational strategies,” Bott said.
However, the change seems to be working.
“We’re doing about 43 of these across the state every month at 43 different locations. Some are monthly, some are weekly depending on the need in the area,” Bott said. “But it does give us flexibility, that it allows us to serve those neighborhoods to the best of our ability and to meet the greatest of all their needs.”
Bott also told the Deseret News that the supply chain issues Utah had earlier this year seem to be fixed. Their shelves are stocked.
The next challenge will be the holidays, which are always a busy time of year for the food bank.
“We know that December is going to be a tough month, but then you go into January, we’re starting off a new year and some of these people still aren’t re-employed, or they’re not re-employed at the level that they were at — and now it’s a continuation of their dilemma. So it has to be a continuation of our services at the level that we can provide,” Bott said.
Today’s Top Stories
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Utah man charged, accused of threatening people displaying a Trump flag
- Champion bodybuilder turns himself in on Utah rape charges
- Man who pleaded guilty to Mackenzie Lueck’s murder sentenced to life in prison
- Golden Spoke Event
- How to make sure you weather the storm and cleanup safely
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Inside Sources: Studying trust (and distrust) in America
- Utah Jazz to celebrate 40th season in the state