SALT LAKE CITY — Elder Dale Renlund, along with his wife Sister Ruth Renlund, tested positive for the coronavirus, church officials announced in a statement Saturday. Elder Renlund is the second apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be diagnosed with COVID-19.
Elder Renlund is said to have “mild symptoms,” according to church officials, while Sister Renlund is asymptomatic. The two will be monitored for symptoms over the coming days.
Other church leaders are being tested for the virus as a precaution and the church “is following all appropriate health protocols for contact tracing and will continue to follow health guidelines for this virus,” according to the statement.
“We continue to encourage all to take steps to protect themselves and one another during this pandemic, including wearing masks, frequently washing hands, and social distancing,” said church spokesman Eric Hawkins.
Elder Renlund, 68, is the second apostle to test positive for COVID-19, after Elder Gerrit Gong and Sister Susan Gong were diagnosed in early October. Both recovered and Elder Gong was present for the Taylorsville Utah Temple groundbreaking Oct. 31.
Bonneville International Corporation, the company that owns KSL NewsRadio, is a subsidiary of Deseret Management Corporation, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Live Mic: Former Secret Service agents talk about protecting Joe Biden
- JayMac: Macin Smith update: My brother was allegedly investigated in Macin’s disappearance
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- State fire marshal talks about Lake Mountain Middle School delays
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces first ever African-American General Authority
- Mayochup? You mean Fry Sauce
- Multiple weekend search and rescue missions in Utah
- Mary Livingston – Desert Hills Middle School
- Salt Lake City murder from 2018 solved with forensic evidence
- Vaccine watch: Utah County