SALT LAKE CITY — Elder Dale Renlund, along with his wife Sister Ruth Renlund, tested positive for the coronavirus, church officials announced in a statement Saturday. Elder Renlund is the second apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be diagnosed with COVID-19.
Elder Renlund is said to have “mild symptoms,” according to church officials, while Sister Renlund is asymptomatic. The two will be monitored for symptoms over the coming days.
Other church leaders are being tested for the virus as a precaution and the church “is following all appropriate health protocols for contact tracing and will continue to follow health guidelines for this virus,” according to the statement.
“We continue to encourage all to take steps to protect themselves and one another during this pandemic, including wearing masks, frequently washing hands, and social distancing,” said church spokesman Eric Hawkins.
Elder Renlund, 68, is the second apostle to test positive for COVID-19, after Elder Gerrit Gong and Sister Susan Gong were diagnosed in early October. Both recovered and Elder Gong was present for the Taylorsville Utah Temple groundbreaking Oct. 31.
Bonneville International Corporation, the company that owns KSL NewsRadio, is a subsidiary of Deseret Management Corporation, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- ‘I just wanted to be better’: Utah woman details experience with heroin addiction
- How someone’s pet goldfish destroyed an entire ecosystem at Maple Lake
- Mom has warning for others after getting scary phone call
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- What happened? Anatomy of a violent NASCAR crash
- The original Gerber Baby just turned 93
- After deadly ambush, Sen. Mike Lee talks striking back at Mexican drug cartels
- Growing up poor changes DNA, scientists find
- Benefits of massage: It’s okay to feel good
- Anonymous man pays 12-person dinner bill at Bandit’s Grill and Bar