HUMBOLDT COUNTY, Calif. — The editor of Salt Lake Magazine died Monday in northern California. Officials say a large wave struck her and swept her into the Pacific Ocean .
The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office identified the female victim as 65-year-old Mary Malouf of Salt Lake City. She was in northern California visiting her son. Monday the pair walked to the edge of Humboldt Bay’s North Jetty.
While there, Humboldt County officials say the two were hit by a large wave. Both fell into the ocean. But, while the son managed to cling to the jetty rocks, officials say the surf swept Malouf to sea.
#HappeningNow Search and Rescue underway at the North Jetty after a 67-year-old female victim was reportedly swept out into the ocean. HCSO and USCG responding.
— HumCoSO (@HumCoSO) December 7, 2020
Searchers from the United States Coast Guard, Samoa Peninsula Fire District, and Humboldt Bay Fire reportedly assisted in the search.
She was found in the water. Rescue workers administered CPR and transported Malouf to a hospital for medical treatment where she was pronounced dead.
According to the Associated Press, Malouf, a Texas native, served as the executive editor of Salt Lake Magazine since 2007.
The National Weather Service warns that breaking waves as tall as 28 feet remained a possible threat for beachgoers and mariners in the area on Tuesday afternoon.
Today’s Top Stories
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Hey, Utahns over 70: Here’s everything to know about getting your COVID-19 vaccine
- Flu vaccine doesn’t fully cover Influenza B, CDC says
- Boxer Rocky Lockridge, “Best Cry Ever” meme man, has died at the age of 60
- No sign of missing woman who was kidnapped in Kearns 1 week ago
- Live Mic: lessons of 1968’s RFK Appalachia visit still echo today
- Giovanni Pangan, Philippines mission president, dies of heart attack
- UPDATED: Six-year-old girl dies on golf course after being hit by dad’s golf ball