MIDVALE, Utah –A water main break at 80th South and State Street in Midvale means three schools had to dismiss early. Canyons School District spokesman Jeff Haney says it would be too hard for Midvale Middle, Midvale Elementary and CopperView Elementary Schools to safely continue without running water.
“We also have a lot of hygiene concerns related to our efforts to slow the spread of Covid-19 in our schools,” he said.
Haney says in any other year, they would just deliver bottled water and portable toilets and keep school going.
“If you don’t have running water, you can’t wash your hands. And one of the safety precautions we put in place this year, is make sure you are using hand santizer and washing your hands. That’s why we released school early for those schools,” he explained.
1/3 As a result of a water main rupture in Midvale, 3 Canyons District schools are without running water, requiring that classes be canceled for the day. Students @MidvaleMustangs, @Midvalemiddle and @CopperviewElem will be released today, Monday, Dec. 14 starting at 11:15 a.m. pic.twitter.com/1CBNlCAdgc
— Canyons District (@canyonsdistrict) December 14, 2020
They’ll communicate with parents about school on Tuesday.
“There’s no estimated time when those repairs would be made. We are keeping tabs on it throughout the day, so we can make the appropriate plans for tomorrow.”
The city of Midvale reported repairs could take into Monday afternoon at a minimum.
Update: Our Public Works team is working as quickly as possible. But, since this is a main transmission line break, we anticipate the repair to take AT LEAST 4 hours (3:00 pm at the very earliest). https://t.co/HVKGiheQlP
— Midvale City, Utah (@MidvaleCity) December 14, 2020
If there are still water problems on Tuesday, it could be a remote learning day for those schools.
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Bad breath behind that mask? 10 reasons and remedies for your halitosis
- Police announce new arrests in Murray mall shooting
- Officers escort a fallen deputy’s wife across the stage at her graduation
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- BYU rallies to beat Tennessee 29-26 in OT
- Chad Daybell faces new charges a day after Lori Vallow appeared in court on same counts
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27