BOUNTIFUL, Utah – Healthcare workers at MountainStar Lakeview Hospital in Bountiful have become some of the first in Utah to get the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.
The hospital’s Director of Critical Care Jacci Kennedy said she was happy to roll up her sleeve and get a shot.
“We are here to take care of people. We are here to take care of our community,” Kennedy told KSL-TV. “And we can continue to do so healthy.”
Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine ships in smaller packages. It can also be stored in a regular freezer, unlike Pfizer’s vaccine which needs to be held in large, subzero ones.
Nurse Liz Barnes said that means smaller clinics and rural areas can now be vaccinated.
“With it just being easier to store, it’s just going to be so much easier to get it to everybody in those rural communities,” Barnes said.
However, there was a hitch in the vaccination plan: There were only 500 doses available.
CEO Troy Wood said there are 600 employees at Lakeview Hospital.
“We will be able to vaccinate throughout today, tomorrow, and Wednesday,” Wood said. “We’ll apply for more. We will, at that point, be able to disseminate it to community physicians.”
“We did receive notification that we are slated to receive 47,800 doses of the Moderna vaccine throughout the week,” said the Utah Department of Health in a statement to KSL NewsRadio. “Most of these doses will be reserved for long-term care facility residents and staff, as well as healthcare workers in hospitals.”
Lakeview was not the only hospital to offer the COVID-19 vaccine to its workers. Ogden Regional Medical Center also vaccinated its staff.
Today’s Top Stories
- Police ask for help finding suspect who attacked hiker
- Dave & Dujanovic: Coping with the fear of returning to school
- Gov. Herbert announces COVID-19 to close schools rest of year
- DA: Unified officer was not justified in shooting death of Salt Lake man
- Salt Lake City Council wants resident input on 2020-2021 fiscal budget
- Biden gets into testy exchange with man over gun rights
- United Utah Party: Investigate Gov. Herbert for possible inducement
- Governor announces ‘soft closure’ of Utah public schools
- People are moving to Utah, making it one of the fastest growing states in the US
- Dogs that attacked girl will not be euthanized