OGDEN, Utah — Weber County Jail reported 32 active COVID-19 cases among inmates, making this the second outbreak in the facility since July. The jail is waiting on 53 pending tests from Monday to determine the total number of positive cases.
“We continue to follow CDC guidelines in preventing and limiting the spread of the virus,” the jail said in a Facebook post. “We express sincere appreciation to our staff and our medical providers for their diligent efforts in combating the challenges of this pandemic.”
Weber County Jail COVID Update The Weber County Jail currently has 32 individuals that are incarcerated in our…
The numbers come as the state reported 2,302 new COVID-19 cases Tuesday and that 8,518 vaccines have been administered so far. Utah’s inmate population is considered one of the most at-risk populations, with the Utah Department of Corrections reporting 964 active cases in state prisons.
The Utah Department of Health plans to vaccinate those in correctional facilities in Phase Two of its distribution plan — which is expected to roll out in February or March.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- ‘I just wanted to be better’: Utah woman details experience with heroin addiction
- What to do if you encounter a dangerous animal in the wild
- The original Gerber Baby just turned 93
- What happened? Anatomy of a violent NASCAR crash
- How someone’s pet goldfish destroyed an entire ecosystem at Maple Lake
- Mom has warning for others after getting scary phone call
- Hill Air Force Base Open Aircraft Day
- Opinion: Mexico needs our help to avoid becoming “failed state”
- Salt Lake City police respond to hundreds of calls because of the wind
- How tech salaries compare among Utah cities and to other states