RIVERDALE, UT — A trooper with the Utah Highway Patrol (UHP) was injured early Friday morning when his parked patrol car was hit on northbound I-15 and 4400 S. in Riverdale.
In a statement, the UHP said Trooper Brandon Mortensen was on the shoulder of the freeway in his marked patrol car.
The UHP says a Honda Civic drifted out of its lane and hit the left rear of the patrol car. The crash resulted in injuries to the trooper and he was briefly hospitalized.
The accident blocked most of the northbound lanes of I-15 at 4400 S. for a time on Friday morning.
An investigation is underway by the Weber County Sheriff’s office and Roy police. According to the statement, this investigation includes looking into whether the male driver of the Civic was driving while impaired.
If that is the case, the driver would join 37 other drivers suspected by UHP troopers of driving on Utah roadways while impaired over the New Year’s Eve holiday.
Today’s Top Stories
- Rebecca Mikkelsen – Washington Terrace Elementary
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Gunman who killed U. student tried to kidnap witness, police say
- A dancing cockatoo named Snowball learned 14 moves all by himself
- UPDATE: South Salt Lake DMV Office reopens after confirmed COVID case
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah
- Fire-ravaged forests get help from pine cone collectors
- Zion National Park and other Utah national parks begin re-opening
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports
- Rare Nike ‘Moon Shoe’ up for auction at Sotheby’s could fetch $160,000