SALT LAKE CITY — Taking care to point out that the total of new COVID-19 cases reported in Utah on Saturday represents two days’ worth of new cases, the Utah Department of Health (UDOH) said that 5,042 more Utahns have tested positive for COVID-19.
The number represents 3,110 cases that would have been reported on January 1. The remainder, 1,932, are new cases being reported for Saturday.
UDOH also reported that on Saturday, 46,374 dozes of COVID-19 vaccine have been administered to Utahns. UDOH defines “doses administered” as the number of vaccine doses that have been given to people and reported to the UDOH.
The rolling 7-day average for positive tests is now 2,506 per day. The rolling 7-day average for percent of positive lab tests is 27.4%.
Since the beginning of the worldwide outbreak, 11,101 Utahns have been hospitalized for COVID-19. Today, the UDOH reports that 487 people are hospitalized with complications from the virus.
As of January 1, the date for which the most current information is available, Utah health officials report that 281,654 Utahns have recovered from COVID-19
In total, and since the beginning of the pandemic, 1,212 Utahns have died from COVID-19. That number represents an additional 25 Utahns who have died. Within that number, 9 deaths would have been reported on January 1, and 16 deaths would be the number reported for Saturday.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer Tanya Turnbow, Tooele City Police Department
- Latter-day Saints apostle, cardiologist weighs in on wearing masks
- Trouble with Teams? Microsoft reports problems with “multiple 365 services.”
- Passenger says they asked boat driver to stop drinking before deadly Lake Powell crash
- Officials say man who died was likely gored by bison at Antelope Island
- Court weighs if lawyers can compel child victims to testify
- Temple Square lights turn on tonight to kick start the holidays
- Greg Skordas: Democratic nominee for Utah attorney general
- Utah hospitals could receive COVID-19 vaccines in less than two weeks
- Melania Trump announces Rose Garden ‘renewal’ project