LONDON (AP) — Britain has authorized a coronavirus vaccine developed by Moderna, the third to be licensed for use in the country.
The Department of Health said Friday that the vaccine meets the regulator’s “strict standards of safety, efficacy and quality.”
Britain has ordered 10 million doses of the vaccine, though it is not expected to be delivered to the U.K. until spring.
So far Britain has inoculated .,5 million people with two other vaccines.
“Vaccines are the key to releasing us all from the grip of this pandemic, and today’s news is yet another important step towards ending lockdown and returning to normal life,’’ Business Secretary Alok Sharma said.
Britain’s National Health Service said Thursday that next week it will start using a field hospital specially built at a huge exhibition center in east London in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic.
The hospital, which will also be a vaccination hub, was one of several built in the spring in anticipation of hospitals becoming overwhelmed. They were named after Florence Nightingale, widely considered to be the founder of modern nursing, but barely used and were mothballed for use potentially during further waves of the pandemic.
NHS England Chief Executive Simon Stevens said that the pressures facing hospitals in London and the southeast of England are so acute that the Nightingale hospital at the ExCel London will be opened next week to inpatients. A few hundred beds for non-COVID patients are expected to be available at first.
“The entirety of the health service in London is mobilizing to do everything it possibly can but the infections, the rate of growth in admissions, that is what collectively the country has got to get under control,” he said.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronaviruses transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear a mask.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Police: Couple arrested for marijuana-themed event
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Update: Police identify man in Echo nightclub shooting
- Barry Pewtress – Spectrum Academy High School
- Salt Lake City School District gears up for the year to start online
- 5 tips to stop touching your face
- Death of Steve Powell removes a lingering hope in Susan Powell case
- Excelsior Academy first-graders moved to online school
- CNN and ‘Sesame Street’ to host a town hall addressing racism
- Find a Way Out! 3 Ways You Can Stay Safe During a Mass Shooting Situation Anywhere You Are