SALT LAKE CITY — The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that Utah is among the states with the highest number of new COVID-19 cases.
That agency reports that Utah is fourth in the nation for new cases, per 100,000 residents of the state, behind Arizona, Rhode Island, and Tennessee.
This information comes as the state confirmed on Sunday that 2,276 more Utahns have tested positive for COVID-19.
That number, according to the Utah Department of Health (UDOH) brings the total number of positive cases in Utah to 305,999.
Sunday’s total from UDOH also shows that more than 100,000 people have now received a portion of their vaccination and that more than 1,800,000 Utahns have been tested for the disease responsible for a global pandemic.
Tests and hospitalizations
On Sunday, Utah health officials reported that 1,392 Utahns have died from COVID-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. That includes 2 additional deaths since UDOH’s last report (which was on Saturday.)
Both of the Utahns who recently died from COVID-19 (one male and one female) resided in Washington County. Both were hospitalized at the time of their deaths, and both were between the ages of 65 and 85.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Tara Francyk-Wells – West Jordan Elementary
- BYU Study: Drinking High-Fat Milk Connected With Biological Aging
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park
- Hurricane-force winds in Utah close schools, knock power out
- Only-child doesn’t need to be lonely child during the pandemic
- Motherhood, family size increasing in U.S.
- Starbucks has officially abandoned straws for sippy cup lids … well, mostly
- To eat, or not to eat breakfast — that is the question
- ‘He changed my life’: Afghan pilot remembers Major Brent Taylor
- How does the Electoral College work?