SALT LAKE CITY — Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, has joined a group of 11 senators reintroducing a constitutional amendment that would limit the number of justices serving on the Supreme Court to nine.
The amendment was originally introduced by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) in 2019.
“Packing the Supreme Court is a radical, left-wing idea that would further undermine America’s confidence in our institutions and our democracy,” Rubio said. “As a candidate, President Joe Biden promised to unify America, and even said he was ‘not a fan’ of packing the Supreme Court, a radical proposal he once referred to as a ‘bonehead idea’ when he served in the Senate. If he is sincere about healing our country and protecting our institutions, he will support this effort to protect the Supreme Court.”
“It remains imperative that we continue to resist efforts to pack the Supreme Court and treat it as if it is one of the elected branches of government,” Romney said. “Our society is only as strong as its institutions, and I hope my colleagues will join us in our effort to ensure the integrity and independence of the Supreme Court.”
The Constitution does not specify how many justices should serve on the Supreme Court. Its number changed at least six times since our nation’s founding before settling at nine seats in 1869.
Romney and Rubio are joined by Sens. Kevin Cramer (R-ND), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Todd Young (R-IN), Mike Crapo (R-ID), Pat Toomey (R-PA), Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), Thom Tillis (R-NC), Rob Portman (R-OH), and John Cornyn (R-TX) who are also cosponsoring the legislation.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Need something last minute? Here’s what is open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- A Chick-fil-A manager saved a drive-thru Covid-19 vaccination clinic after traffic backed up
- Wendy’s breakfast is starting to roll out
- Live Mic: Ideas for needed police reform
- Family responds after DA ruling in officer-involved shooting of Pena-Valencia
- Salt Lake City School District taking heat for canceling school at the last minute
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- University of Utah responds to Dateline report on McCluskey killing
- All six female Utah state senators walk out to protest invasive abortion ultrasound
- F-35 Demonstration Team to hold behind-the-scenes performance Friday