(CNN) — Captain Tom Moore, the 100-year-old World War II veteran whose efforts to raise millions for the UK’s National Health Service made him a universally adored icon during the first wave of the Covid-19 outbreak, has died in hospital after himself contracting the disease, his family said Tuesday.
Known affectionately as Captain Tom, Moore raised almost £33 million ($45 million) by walking laps of his garden last year.
Moore was taken to a hospital on Sunday because of breathing problems after being treated for pneumonia, his family said.
“It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our dear father, Captain Sir Tom Moore,” the family said in a statement to PA Media on Tuesday.
This is a breaking news story. More details soon.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronaviruses transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear a mask.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Utah Utes let go of Coach K after 10 seasons
- Utah’s number of deaths from COVID-19 jumps to 8
- New dress guidelines announced for male missionaries — in some areas
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Review: Was “Frozen 2” a good sequel or even a good movie?
- Full transcript of Lori Daybell secret phone call recording
- US Capitol on lockdown as protesters storm the building
- Settlement deal nearing completion for parents of Lauren McCluskey
- LDS Church: April General Conference will be “technology only”