SALT LAKE CITY — Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, has proposed a new plan that would send monthly cash to families during the pandemic. The plan would give American families $350 a month for each child under 5 years old and $250 for each child up to age 17.
The Family Security Act aims to simplify existing federal family policies to create one universal child benefit. It would consolidate the state and local tax credits and the temporary assistance program for needy families.
In doing so, this creates a monthly cash payment for families without adding to the deficit, according to Romney.
“American families are facing greater financial strain, worsened by the COVID-19 pandemic, and marriage and birth rates are at an all-time low,” Romney said in a statement.
“On top of that, we have not comprehensively reformed our family support system in nearly three decades, and our changing economy has left millions of families behind,” he said.
“Now is the time to renew our commitment to families to help them meet the challenges they face as they take on (the) most important work any of us will ever do — raising our society’s children.”
The Family Security Act would cap American households at $1,250 a month.
Romney stated in the plan, “in order to remain deficit-neutral and provide certainty for families, it also eliminates the State and Local Tax Deduction (SALT), which is an inefficient tax break to upper-income taxpayers.”
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Mount Ogden Junior High School moving to online classes Nov. 4
- Union Pacific parks over a hundred locomotives in Salt Lake rail yard
- Lee Lonsberry steps up to the mic at KSL
- Lagoon ready to open without reservations
- UDOT to build runaway truck ramp entering Garden City near Bear Lake
- 3-year-old Spanish Fork girl falls from 2nd story window
- Salt Lake City high schoolers now in class four days a week
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Park City hiker in Idaho
- Getting Pulled Over is the Worst but Here’s How You Can Make Sure You Have a Safe…
- Trump says FDA will fast track anti-viral treatments for patients with coronavirus