Utah has a speeding problem. It’s not just 10 or 15 miles an hour over the speed limits, but apparently many drivers in the Beehive State are speeding in excess of 100 mph, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
UHP Col. Mike Rapich, on with Dave and Dujanovic Wednesday morning, said troopers cited 5,139 drivers for speeding in excess of 100 mph in Utah in 2020, well over the number of citations issued in 2019.
Rapich said the big number of speeders is surprising, considering the lower volume of traffic on the roads during the pandemic.
“When we see that kind of an increase in the face of a tremendous overall traffic-volume reduction, it really is concerning,” said Rapich.
Utah speeding up — even with fewer cars on the road
The UHP said during the past Christmas holiday alone, they cited 104 drivers across Utah for speeding — at least 100 mph or faster.
Rapich said it’s not just just a big spike in speeding that’s alarming about 2020, but violations including DUI and trooper pursuits are way up in Utah as well.
“Our DUI arrests in 2020 compared to 2019 were up about 300 from the previous year, just the ones handled by UHP. We did about 3,000 in 2019. In 2020, we were almost 3,300,” according to Rapich.
Not just Utah
He said bad driving is not unique to Utah. All 50 states are seeing big spikes in moving violations in 2020 despite fewer cars on the road.
The California Highway Patrol reported its officers had stopped 15,000 drivers going over 100 mph just during summer months of last year.
In Ohio, troopers report a year-over-year increase of 100 mph stops just between the months of April and September 2020.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- New health order could impact school dances, graduation ceremonies
- Suspect in woman’s death barred from campus, report says
- Utah coronavirus cases hit 1,411 in one day, setting new record
- Two construction areas to be aware of this weekend may affect traffic
- Utah House OKs bill to bring back vehicle registration postcards
- Listen louder than you sing: inside the Tabernacle Choir on Temple Square
- Much loved St. George runner dies after 10-year fight with cancer
- Officer-involved shooting in Roy deemed justified, police release video
- Impeachment trial: The case against convicting President Trump
- Citizen group pushes for voter referendum to stop Provo mask madate