SALT LAKE CITY, Utah- The Clean Air Caucus in the Utah legislature has members from both parties, and they outlined their agenda for the current session in a news conference Wednesday afternoon. The agenda for the upcoming year includes more than a dozen bills and more than $357 million dollars in spending.
The lion’s share of that money, $350 million, would go to double-track the FrontRunner commuter train system.
“Anybody who’s ridden FrontRunner a lot, like I have, knows you have to pull over and wait sometimes for the other train to pass,” said Sen. Todd Weiler (R-Woods Cross). Governor Spencer Cox included the money in his proposed budget.
There’s also $6 million in the budget for electric vehicle charging infrastructure in Utah’s rural communities.
Other bills supported by the Clean Air Caucus include:
HB 123, which would look at the idea of creating a state laboratory to study air quality and climate change. (Rep. Handy)
HB 91, which would provide tax credits for heavy-duty vehicles using alternative fuels such as natural gas, electricity or hydrogen. (Rep. Stoddard)
HB 63, which creates a state fund for investment in clean energy projects. (Rep. Briscoe)
The Clean Air Caucus was started by a Democrat, Patrice Arent, who served as both a state senator and representative. Today, Sen. Weiler said it has strong support in both parties as lawmakers look at surveys showing air quality is a top concern of Utah voters.
“When I came in as a freshman senator in 2012, as a Republican, and started talking about clean air” Weiler said, “I got some funny looks from other Republicans, like ‘Hey, are you sure you’re in the right meeting?’ but now, it’s completely changed.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…
- Utah man critically injured in bike crash at Canyonlands National Park
- Advice from a registered sex offender: teach your kids
- Mercy Housing Mountain Plains
- HOAX ALERT: Health officials warn about color-coded masks flyer
- Utah man gets up to life in prison in ex-girlfriend’s death
- Best garden gifts for Mother’s Day | KSL Greenhouse
- China pushes conspiracy theories on COVID origin, vaccines
- Sneakers designed in honor of Obama to go on sale for $25,000
- Surgeon General on coronavirus: ‘This week is going to get bad’