SALT LAKE CITY — Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, would pick up 4% of the vote if the 2024 GOP primary were held today, according to a national Politico/Morning Consult flash poll.
The survey of 1,984 registered Republican voters conducted Feb. 14-15 had a margin of error of ± 2% and ranked the potential top vote-getters as:
- Donald Trump 53%
- Mike Pence 12%
- Nikki Haley 6%
- Donald Trump Jr. 6%
- Would not vote 5%
- Mitt Romney 4%
- Ted Cruz 4%
Impeachment Part I and II
On Dec, 18, 2019, the House adopted two articles of impeachment against the former president: abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. Mr. Trump was alleged to have solicited foreign interference in the 2020 U.S. presidential election to help his re-election bid.
But on Feb. 5, 2020, the Senate acquitted Mr. Trump of the charges.
Romney was the only senator to break party lines and became the first U.S. senator to vote to convict a president of his own party during an impeachment trial.
During Mr. Trump’s second impeachment trial, Romney was one of seven Republicans to join all 50 Democrats who voted Saturday (Feb. 13) to convict the former president after a weeklong Senate trial. He was acquitted on a 57-43 vote. Conviction requires a two-thirds Senate majority or 67 votes.
Romney’s political past
As the 2012 GOP presidential nominee, candidate Romney received almost 61 million votes or 47.2% of the total votes cast.
In 2008, Romney lost the nomination to the late Arizona Sen. John McCain.
The senator has said he would not run for president a third time.
Romney served as Massachusetts governor from 2003 to 2007.
He has not revealed if he will run for a second Senate term in 2024.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Winter solstice 2019: A short day that’s long on ancient traditions
- Cease and desist sent by Lt. Governor’s office to stop unauthorized use of State Seal
- Mat and Savanna Shaw, a viral daddy-daughter singing duo sharing hope through music
- Passenger says they asked boat driver to stop drinking before deadly Lake Powell crash
- Expect hazy skies and moderately unhealthy air for a few days
- Avalanche victim identified as long-time Park City resident
- Why the US dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima 74 years ago today
- UDOT going forward with West Davis Corridor
- The undefeated Patriots and Bills will face off this NFL Sunday
- The most generous state in America is Utah – again