SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Board of Higher Education (Board) has named Dr. Michael L. Good as interim president of the University of Utah.
Dr. Good’s position as interim president will take effect in April 2021. And when the search for a permanent president has been completed, Dr. Good will return to his current roles as CEO of University of Utah Health, Dean of the University of Utah School of Medicine, and Senior Vice President of Health Sciences.
“Dr. Good is highly qualified and well-prepared to take on the interim role at the University of Utah,” said Nina Barnes, Vice-Chair of the Utah Board of Higher Education in a statement.
“Dr. Good has worked to advance the university’s health system and has led both it and the more than 20,000 talented faculty, staff and students, who make up University of Utah Health, over the last two and a half years.”
The Board is confident that he will see the University of Utah successfully through this transition. We congratulate Dr. Good on this appointment and are thankful for his dedication to the long-term success of the institution.”
The current president, Ruth V. Watkins, revealed last month that she would step down as president of the school in April 2021.
At that time, Watkins said she was going to accept a position as president of a private firm, Strada Impact.
The Utah Board of Higher Education oversees the selection of a new president for public universities in the state. A committee will host public meetings to update residents about its progress and to seek input about qualifications and ideal candidates.
Today’s Top Stories
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- Chad Daybell faces new charges a day after Lori Vallow appeared in court on same counts
- Officers escort a fallen deputy’s wife across the stage at her graduation
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Bad breath behind that mask? 10 reasons and remedies for your halitosis
- Church leaders break ground for the Auckland New Zealand Temple
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Uncle of missing five-year-old in Logan charged with murder, remains found
- Air quality is dangerous for some across Wasatch Front