(CNN) — Three people were killed and two were injured in a shooting at a gun store in Louisiana on Saturday.
Deputies were called to the scene at the Jefferson Gun Outlet in Metairie just before 3 p.m., Jefferson Parish Sheriff Joseph Lopinto III said during a press briefing.
Metairie is just a few miles northwest of New Orleans.
One initial shooter fatally shot two people inside the store, according to Lopinto. Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene.
Several people then engaged the original suspect inside and outside the store, leaving two more people injured with gunshot wounds, the sheriff said.
A press release from the sheriff’s office said the third person killed was the original shooter.
The two injured people were transported to University Hospital and are in stable condition, according to Lopinto.
It appears the people involved in the shooting may have been customers, employees or individuals at the location, he said.
The New Orleans office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has special agents working the scene, the agency tweeted.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Stacey Marshall – Jordan Ridge Elementary
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Dave & Dujanovic: Was police use of force in Minneapolis akin to murder?
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony
- Courage Reins
- Donovan Mitchell: good Samaritan deed goes viral
- Grandfather of suspect in the death of little girl says he is a troubled family member