It’s a creative concoction: The all-white piece of chicken is marinated in jalapeño buttermilk and fried with a crunchy tortilla chip coating, served in a puffy bread that’s shaped as a taco. That’s then topped in a creamy chipotle sauce. There’s also a spicy version that includes an additional topping of jalapeño slices.
Taco Bell is serving the tacos only at participating restaurants in Nashville, Tennessee, and Charlotte, North Carolina, beginning on March 11 for $2.49. A nationwide rollout is planned for later this year, signaling the chain is ready to grow its menu again following a major reduction last year.
Taco Bell isn’t top of mind when it comes to the fried chicken wars. But its menu features a number of chicken items, including its Naked Chicken Chalupa featuring crispy chicken shaped into a shell filled with traditional toppings, such as lettuce and cheese.
In 2019, it briefly sold the Crispy Tortilla Chicken, which shares similar traits to Monday’s announcement including a piece of fried chicken marinated in a jalapeño buttermilk.
With fried chicken sandwiches becoming commonplace, fast food chains are getting creative with more flavor-filled options. In recent weeks, Wendy’s debuted a Jalapeño Popper Sandwich, Shake Shack added a chicken sandwich with a spicy-sweet Gochujang glaze and Chick-fil-A rolled out a spicy grilled chicken sandwich.
The chicken clash further escalates Wednesday when McDonald’s adds three new chicken sandwiches to its menu.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Dr. Angela Dunn: “Optimistic” some places in Utah could move to…
- COLD: Communication breakdown between law enforcement failed Joyce Yost
- Sir Paul McCartney makes his own guitar picks by crushing pennies under trains
- Tooele County Health Department issues Public Health Order to the owner of The Amphitheater…
- Police have suspect in custody in Roy homicide
- Your dog food may be linked to canine heart disease
- Violence again rocks Minneapolis after man’s death; 1 killed
- NASA’s Mars helicopter takes flight, 1st for another planet
- Police investigate report of abduction in West Jordan
- Sea lion at Hogle recovering after eating sock