Investors gained interest in the stock once again a few days after the company announced its chief financial officer would resign next month to help “accelerate GameStop’s transformation,” which could fuel investors who believe in the long-term value of the retailer and its ability to shift from relying on physical stores to an e-commerce sales model.
Trading of the stock was halted twice Wednesday and its trading volume was roughly three times higher than the five-day average for the stock, according to data provider Refinitiv.
Having déjà vu yet? The surge comes about a month after a wild GameStop trading frenzy caused its stock to jump around 1,600% in a matter of days, though it quickly fell from its highs around $350 (Shares are set to open Thursday at around $150).
The late January surge was fueled by individual retail investors, many from the Reddit page WallStreetBets, some of whom believed the GameStop was undervalued and others who wanted to squeeze hedge funds that had shorted the stock.
AMC, another “meme stock” involved in the trading frenzy last month, also jumped around 18% in premarket trading Thursday. As did Koss Corp., which manufactures headphones, soared 60% ahead of the opening bell. Clothing retailer Express also rose 15%.
–CNN Business’ Clare Duffy contributed to this report.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Much loved St. George runner dies after 10-year fight with cancer
- Suspect in woman’s death barred from campus, report says
- Some evacuation orders lifted for the Snoqualmie Fire
- Sunya Osborn – Landmark High School
- Utah women to be honored with new mural from Sgt. Pepper artist
- Utah House OKs bill to bring back vehicle registration postcards
- Romney responds after Senate vote acquits former President Trump
- Two construction areas to be aware of this weekend may affect traffic
- Harmons will begin administering COVID-19 vaccines to eligible groups
- ‘Real Housewives of Salt Lake City’ star faces federal fraud charges for…