PROVO, Utah — A Provo man potentially faces charges in the accidental stabbing of his toddler daughter. Police say he mistook the 23-month-old child for another person in bed with his wife.
Miguel Francisco Rodriguez-Vera, 34, was booked into the Utah County Jail while the case is under investigation.
Provo police said they got the call about the stabbing of the toddler around 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday, as the girl’s mother rushed her to the hospital.
According to Provo police, Rodriguez-Vera had been drinking and began yelling at his wife when he noticed a large number of pillows and blankets in the bed which led him to suspect someone else was in the bed with his wife. Police said he then asked who was in the bed with her — and then stabbed through the sheets cutting the girl.
The toddler’s mother then rushed the girl to the hospital where she was treated for a stab wound in her foot. Police say the injury was not life-threatening.
If you need help with a domestic violence situation you can call the Utah Domestic Violence Link-Line at 800-897-LINK.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Utah Utes let go of Coach K after 10 seasons
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Utah’s number of deaths from COVID-19 jumps to 8
- New dress guidelines announced for male missionaries — in some areas
- Lori Vallow Daybell’s bond reduces to $1 million in Idaho
- Graduates show Salt Lake City students to stay in school
- Tsunami threat issued after powerful quake hits between Cuba and Jamaica
- Gov. Cox: Misinformation about COVID vaccines is dangerous
- Mrs. Joni Willis – Pleasant Green Elementary