PAROWAN, Utah– An Iron County high school teacher is being investigated by the school district for a tweet that appears to wish death upon Republican Senators.
The tweet posted by Brian Townsend, a humanities teacher at Parowan High School on Feb. 13, stated, “I only hope the next time a President incites a riot at the capitol, more Republican Senators are killed.”
When a former student of Townsend’s came across the tweet, Brandon Harris said he was angry. “I really was genuinely surprised,” Harris told KSL. “I was just appalled at how a teacher could say that because he knows he is an influence on all the younger generation.”
Harris responded to his humanities teacher with “I’m coming for your job.” The tweet later became Townsend’s banner photo on his Twitter account.
In disapproval of the teacher’s tweets, Harris said he is writing a letter to the school board asking for Townsend to be fired or be reprimanded.
KSL reached out to Townsend but has not heard back.
Iron County School District responds to teacher tweet
In reaction to Townsend’s tweet, the Iron County School District offered this response Wednesday:
“We’ve only recently become aware of these tweets. In light of the impact on the educational process and on Iron County School District, we are reviewing with legal counsel our appropriate response and we are investigating the matter. His statements do not represent a statement or the opinions of the Iron County School District. In fact, the school district ensures that where it may be a matter of free speech we are very serious about protecting free speech. However, all matters that affect the educational system adversely are not protected and above all we want to make sure that the educational process and the education for our students is protected.”
Today’s Top Stories
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Backcountry avalanche alert in effect as crews mitigate risk
- Cougar leaves mark on Herriman driveway
- Now’s your chance to pick up US postage stamps honoring military dogs
- UDOT: Southbound I-15 experiencing major delays due to crash
- If you build it … White Sox and Yankees to play at ‘Field of Dreams’ movie…
- Young, broke, or both? You’ll still want to file your taxes July 15th.
- Gov. Cox: Misinformation about COVID vaccines is dangerous
- Take a look at Warner Bros. billion-dollar theme park in Abu Dhabi