LAYTON, Utah — Progress is being made on the Layton Utah Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Temple.
Right now, work continues on the third floor of the Layton Utah Temple. The steel framing on the east end of the third floor will be followed by the construction of the definitive steeples on the east and west sides of the temple.
When the Temple site was first proposed for Layton in 2018, residents told KSL Newsradio that they were surprised. There were existing Temples in the cities of Ogden and Bountiful.
At that time, Mayor Bob Stevenson said he hopes a Layton temple will bring more people to his city, and more planes from Hill Air Force Base.
“I was just thinking about how cool it will be for those F-35 pilots to be taking off from that base, and coming back and landing, and seeing that glow of that temple,” he said.
An exterior rendering of the temple’s design was provided in mid-October 2019 and is seen in the side-by-side photo above. Ground was broken in mid-May of 2020.
According to the Church website, Utah has 24 temples that have been announced or are in some stage of construction. Those included temples announced for Orem, Saratoga Springs, Taylorsville, Tooele Valley, and Washington County.
Once constructed, the Layton Temple will be the second temple built in Davis County.
Latter-day Saints consider temples to be the “house of the Lord” where the faith’s sacred ceremonies such as marriage are performed.
Today’s Top Stories
- 2 Utah families bonded after organ donation saved man’s life
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Fake news: what it is, and how it can influence politics
- How does lake effect snow work? A primer
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- BYU rallies to beat Tennessee 29-26 in OT
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Police announce new arrests in Murray mall shooting