MAGNA, Utah — A West Valley man is under arrest and is accused of stealing and then burning his girlfriend’s dog.
The probable cause statement indicates that Busico’s ex-girlfriend saw Busico giving her dog treats which she said was abnormal. She said that when she came back to the house, the dog, Dixie, was gone.
Later that night, an officer with Unified Police found the dog with burns on its body off the frontage road on I-80 near Saltair.
The girlfriend reportedly saw her dog on the news, recognized it, and called the police. Busico reportedly tried to flee but was caught about 100 yards away.
Dixie will survive, though she has burns on her ears and lost some fur. The vet bill will likely run into the thousands of dollars.
Our initial report follows:
MAGNA, Utah — Police are looking for someone they said set a dog on fire in Magna.
Officers found an injured female red tick heeler near 9400 West and the North Frontage Road by I-80. Officers said they found the dog wandering in the brush which had also caught fire.
Animal Control Officers said the dog had second-degree burns on her face and other burns throughout her coat. Officers found the dog with a brown leather collar with no tags, or microchip.
Witnesses said they saw a white male suspect with a shaved head wearing Dickies and a fluorescent green shirt with an orange stripe who they believe set the dog on fire. Witnesses said the suspect was driving a green Toyota Tacoma truck with a license plate starting with either a Q or K and the number 42.
If you recognize this dog please contact dispatch at 801-840-4000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Salt Lake Animal Services said the case is currently under investigation and donations for the dog’s medical treatment can be made at bit.ly/slco_donate. Or visit AdoptUtahPets.org for additional information.
A gallery of photos of the dog provided by Salt Lake County Animal Services is below. Viewer discretion is advised.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Provo PD seeing many cars with illegal black license plates
- Virgin River tests positive for cyanobacteria that produces toxins
- Prosecutors warn parents about online safety after more than 100 predators arrested within…
- 18-year-old dead following fatal crash on Mountain View Corridor
- Florida vacation home invaded by vomiting vultures
- New details about Lake Powell boat crash
- Review: Was “Frozen 2” a good sequel or even a good movie?
- Nonprofit projects pay increase for Utah workers in 2021
- Hill Cumorah Pageant final season canceled; Nauvoo Pageant postponed
- Russia, China both continue to pose threat, expert says