MOAB, Utah — Two researchers from Utah State University’s Institute of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism set up motion-detector cameras at the Arches National Park visitor’s center last year to see whether visitors would observe mask and social distancing requirements.
For the most part, Zach Miller says they did.
“60% of all groups, every single person in those groups was wearing a face mask, even when they were out-of-doors at a place like the visitor’s center,” Miller said.
As the crowds at Arches got bigger, though, Miller says the cameras showed it became harder for people in groups to avoid each other.
Visitors could reduce the risk of those interactions, Miller said, by limiting the number of people coming in to the visitor’s center area.
“If visitors need to use the restroom or get some water or grab a map,” he said, “really think about who needs to go into the area, and if at all possible, leave some people behind at the car.”
Miller and his colleague, Wayne Freimund, weren’t able to check every visitor every day. Some days, Miller said, the weather was just too hot for the cameras to operate.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Obtain a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Police searching for man accused of stealing ducklings from ponds
- Sen. Lee says Utah National Guard kicked out of DC hotel
- Melania Trump announces Rose Garden ‘renewal’ project
- Utah parents want vape tax
- Lynda Carter offers wonderful performance at FanX
- Lee parts ways with President over who killed Saudi journalist
- Sen. Mike Lee: Trump is not guilty
- Utah lawmakers push back on ‘America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act’
- Fake high school sports sponsorship scam targeting Utah businesses
- Kamala Harris arrives in Utah and tours This Is the Place Heritage Park