SALT LAKE CITY — School districts across Utah report trouble filling all their substitute teacher needs, but in some areas, it’s harder than others.
ESS Substitute Teacher Services provides substitute teachers for 4 school districts and 2 charter schools. They say it’s particularly hard to find a willing substitute teacher in Ogden.
Vice President of Operations for ESS, Joseph Fitzgerald said, “We don’t have a high fill rate in Ogden. We definitely need people in that area.”
Fitzgerald suspects one reason may be because the people available to work as a substitute teacher in Ogden tend to skew older than substitutes in other areas such as Alpine and Utah County, where they are not having a problem getting substitutes into the classrooms.
“I know in Alpine we have skewed younger of our sub-pool, which has helped us, where Ogden has skewed older… individuals have been more hesitant to work because of more risk,” Fitzgerald states.
Fitzgerald went on to say, “I actually was advocating that it was more important to vaccinate substitutes over full-time teachers because substitutes could be in five different buildings in the same week.”
“Every school district that we have worked they have included our staff to have access to the vaccine,” said Fitzgerald.
- Do substitute teachers need sensitivity training? A new bill would require it
- Salt Lake City School District faces substitute teacher shortage
- Two Canyons District science teachers will be flying high with NASA
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Inside Sources: Studying trust (and distrust) in America
- Golden Spoke Event
- Should we lower the voting age to 16? Nancy Pelosi says: “Yes.”
- Taylor Swift thanks Utah nurse on her birthday for fighting COVID-19
- Fraud Alerts! 3 Ways Bad Guys are Trying to Get Access to Your Information and How You Can…
- Suspect in shooting no stranger to protests, violence
- SLCO D.A. creates conviction review advisory board