SALT LAKE CITY – Rep. John Hawkins, R-Pleasant Grove, made a surprise, emotional virtual appearance at the Utah legislature via video chat, as he continues to recover from COVID-19.
Sen. Mike McKell, R-Spanish Fork, let other lawmakers know Hawkins was present via video. They welcomed him with a round of applause.
Hawkins had been absent from the legislature due to being very ill and hospitalized from COVID-19. His surprise appearance even allowed him to vote on legislation. He stayed on the video call and was able to submit other votes as the evening went on.
Legislature welcomes colleague with COVID in virtual appearance
“I want to personally thank each and every one of you for your support … for keeping me and my family close to your thoughts and prayers. I miss every one of you and I wish I was there,” said Hawkins.
Hawkins will soon be discharged from the ICU, but he is not able to return home yet. He will need to send some time in a long-term care facility, where he will re-learn how to walk and swallow again.
“This is amazing,” Senate President Stuart Adams, R-Layton, said, as reported by the Deseret News. “We know the effects of COVID, many of us have witnessed it firsthand. How special it is to see this image of him, this was his first vote on the House floor. … It brightens our evening and makes us feel a lot better.”
The Utah Department of Health reports just three positive cases of COVID-19 at the legislature since Jan. 19, 2021; lawmakers went through COVID-19 testing twice a week up there since the session began in January.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Mount Ogden Junior High School moving to online classes Nov. 4
- Union Pacific parks over a hundred locomotives in Salt Lake rail yard
- Lee Lonsberry steps up to the mic at KSL
- Lagoon ready to open without reservations
- UDOT to build runaway truck ramp entering Garden City near Bear Lake
- 3-year-old Spanish Fork girl falls from 2nd story window
- Salt Lake City high schoolers now in class four days a week
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Park City hiker in Idaho
- Getting Pulled Over is the Worst but Here’s How You Can Make Sure You Have a Safe…
- Trump says FDA will fast track anti-viral treatments for patients with coronavirus