SPRINGDALE, Utah — Officials with the National Park Service identified the body of a male hiker who was found in the park Friday morning. The hiker was confirmed to be Jason Hartwell, 43, from Draper, Utah.
The news comes a day after hikers reported that someone fell from Angels Landing, one of Utah’s most prominent hiking trails. A search and rescue team responded to the incident, locating Hartwell’s body at the base of the summit Friday morning.
Rescuers reported Hartwell sustained significant injuries from the fall.
Park operations will continue at Angels Landing as the investigation continues. The National Park Service will collaborate with the Washington County Sheriff’s Office to investigate further.
Today’s Top Stories
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Utah driver licenses will soon get a “gold star”
- Board of education members may start running as Democrats and Republicans
- Marc Miller & Seth Peterson, Probation Officers
- Nichole Warren-Doman – Orion Junior High
- Mantua police chief dismissed, other officers resign shortly after
- Rebecca Mikkelsen – Washington Terrace Elementary
- Cyclamen care | KSL Greenhouse Show
- Decades in the making, a Utah man builds steam engines by hand