PARK CITY, Utah — Two Park City parents are suing the Park City School District (PCSD) and Summit County Health Department officials over the COVID-19 “Test to Stay” program, claiming the requirement is unconstitutional.
The lawsuit filed in the US District Court on Wednesday by Holly and Mark McClure, whose two children attend Treasure Mountain Junior High School and Park City High School, argues the program infringes on their children’s right to access in-person public education.
School COVID-19 “Test to Stay”
The “Test to Stay” policy is an order by the Utah Department of Health that says students must be tested for COVID-19 frequently in order to stay in the classroom.
The testing program began in late January after COVID-19 outbreaks that caused officials to close the schools for nearly two weeks.
In order to attend class in person, students must take rapid antigen tests every two weeks.
Parents say program is “unconstitutional”
However, the lawsuit claims “permitting schools to implement mandatory COVID-19 testing as a condition of in-person learning is an unconstitutional invasion of rights.”
The lawsuit says parents have to choose unfairly between consenting to the test or learning remotely. They say there is no option to let healthy non-symptomatic children to opt-out the COVID-19 testing and also continue to attend in-person learning, which has better outcomes than remote learning, according to the suit.
The school district and health department told the Park Record they are still reviewing the lawsuit before commenting.
Today’s Top Stories
- Jeremy Barnes, Utah Department of Public Safety
- Sayers, Piccolo friendship lives on in ‘Brian’s Song’
- 3 sexual assaults in 1 night reported at Utah State University
- They train 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, chasing million-dollar paydays. Meet China’s…
- More movies and TV being filmed in Utah
- Sergeant Dusty Butler, Emery County Sheriff’s Office
- Utah Jazz announce 2021-22 regular-season schedule
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Park City hiker in Idaho
- Solo hiker rescued after fall injured his arm on Mount Olympus Trail
- White meat is just as bad for you as red beef when it comes to your cholesterol