FARMINGTON — You might notice a few more big trucks and lane closures on Legacy Highway in Davis County starting Monday due to construction on a new freeway.
Utah Department of Transportation says crews will be working in the median of Legacy Highway in Farmington moving into place some heavy equipment, including a big crane to begin their work on the West Davis Corridor Project.
“West Davis is a new 16-mile, 4-lane divided highway project currently planned to be constructed in western Davis County. The first phase of construction will connect to I-15 & Legacy Parkway at approximately Glovers Lane in Farmington, extending west and north, terminating at 4500 West and the future extension of S.R. 193 in West Point,” according to UDOT’s website.
UDOT spokesman Zac Whitney says the equipment is moving in now so Monday they can start what’s called pile drive testing.
“Basically what that means is — the piles are the big support beams that support all the structures on the freeway — so they need to do some testing in that area to make sure that area is safe and able to support the big load of that new roadway.”
Whitney says for about 3 weeks people in the area might feel some vibrations and hear noise as they do that work.
“That work is a lilttle bit noisy and can cause some vibrations especially for those that are really close to that area.”
UDOT says the ultimate goal of the corridor is to provide an alternative for those living in Davis and Weber county’s west side.
“By 2040, the number of homes in western Davis and Weber counties will increase by 65%. This growth is expected to increase travel delays in this area by 62%, even with all other planned projects. West Davis will help address the growing population and meet future transportation needs.”
According to their website the current project budget is an estimated $800 million.
Whitney says UDOT is also very excited about 10 miles of new trails that will be created in connection with the new freeway.
Construction on the roadway is set to begin in April.
Today’s Top Stories
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Courage Reins
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Write-in candidate requests a list mailed to voters, naming write-in candidates
- Grace Struiksma – Channing Hall Charter School
- Some Utah Jazz players’ heights shrunk a bit
- Death of Steve Powell removes a lingering hope in Susan Powell case
- African Gray parrot still missing – Bluffdale owners offer reward