SALT LAKE CITY — People gathered on the steps of the Salt Lake Campus of Salt Lake Community College on Friday night to mourn the eight people killed by a gunman in Atlanta this week.
People drew the names of the victims in chalk on the school’s sidewalks. Those present read the names of the eight victims, while those participating in the crowd said the names back.
USA Today reports that the Fulton County Medical Examiners office has identified four of the victims. They are Soon Chung Park, Hyun Jung Grant, Suncha Kim, and Yong Ae Yue.
The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office has identified four people killed at a spa 30 miles north of Atlanta. They are Delaina Ashley Yaun, Paul Andre Michels, Xiaojie Tan, and Daoyou Feng according to.
“I just came out today to show support for the victims and their families,” one mourner said. “President Trump started calling the coronavirus the Kung-Flu and the China virus, and right then I was like ‘you’re putting a target on our backs,” she told KSL TV reporter Brittany Tait.
“A lot of times, people feel like they are living in a community they don’t belong in because of how people treat them,” another mourner told Tait.
Others told Tait that the shooting did not surprise them.
You can view Tait’s entire report above.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gas station clerk tells her Susan Powell story for the first time publicly
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Utah man charged, accused of threatening people displaying a Trump flag
- Champion bodybuilder turns himself in on Utah rape charges
- Man who pleaded guilty to Mackenzie Lueck’s murder sentenced to life in prison
- Golden Spoke Event
- How to make sure you weather the storm and cleanup safely
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- Inside Sources: Studying trust (and distrust) in America