SALT LAKE CITY — People gathered on the steps of the Salt Lake Campus of Salt Lake Community College on Friday night to mourn the eight people killed by a gunman in Atlanta this week.
People drew the names of the victims in chalk on the school’s sidewalks. Those present read the names of the eight victims, while those participating in the crowd said the names back.
USA Today reports that the Fulton County Medical Examiners office has identified four of the victims. They are Soon Chung Park, Hyun Jung Grant, Suncha Kim, and Yong Ae Yue.
The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office has identified four people killed at a spa 30 miles north of Atlanta. They are Delaina Ashley Yaun, Paul Andre Michels, Xiaojie Tan, and Daoyou Feng according to.
“I just came out today to show support for the victims and their families,” one mourner said. “President Trump started calling the coronavirus the Kung-Flu and the China virus, and right then I was like ‘you’re putting a target on our backs,” she told KSL TV reporter Brittany Tait.
“A lot of times, people feel like they are living in a community they don’t belong in because of how people treat them,” another mourner told Tait.
Others told Tait that the shooting did not surprise them.
You can view Tait’s entire report above.
Today’s Top Stories
- New details about Lake Powell boat crash
- Toni Morrison, ‘Beloved’ author and Nobel laureate, dies at 88
- ER doctor: Masks that don’t cover the nose more likely to spread COVID-19
- Police identify woman found dead at Midvale Motel 6
- Utah homeschooling is on the rise. What does that say about education in Utah?
- Ranch owner seeks justice after longhorn bull, calf shot dead
- Wendy’s is giving its new chicken sandwich out for free, here’s how to get one
- Project Recovery: Casey Scott and Dr. Matt answer your questions
- Officers escort a fallen deputy’s wife across the stage at her graduation
- COLD season 2 announced: Justice for Joyce Yost