SALT LAKE CITY — It may be the start to the first full week of spring, but for most of Utah, it could feel like a snap back to winter.
Spring in Utah: expect anything
Expect a cloudy and cool week with a small storm system moving into the northern half of the state Monday evening that will bring with it more wet weather. KSL Meteorologist Grant Weyman said that storm will bring with it a rain/snow mix to the valleys.
“All week we’re going to struggle to get above 50 [along the Wasatch]. Tomorrow, yep, scattered valley snow showers,” Grant said.
That storm will move out Tuesday, but Grant said residents can expect another system that will roll in Thursday to bring more valley rain and mountain snow.
The good news, in addition to more moisture in the forecast, is that we should start moving back toward the seasonal norms in temperature by the weekend.
On Sunday, the forecast across Utah calls for scattered clouds more springlike temperature near 60.
A warning for drivers
With the weather cooling down again and a chance for wet roads, the Utah Highway Patrol asks drivers to slow down and use caution.
On Sunday, three of their patrol vehicles were hit and one of their troopers was injured.
We are grateful our troopers are OK, but this is a really bad start to this snow storm. PLEASE, slow down and be extra cautious, and give our troopers and other responders some space when you see flashing lights! https://t.co/cyOEbvi5bD
— Michael Rapich (@ColonelRapich) March 21, 2021
Trooper Mikki Vargas said two of those three vehicles were totaled.
“We just need to have people slow down. We don’t know where those ice patches are, especially a day after having bad conditions,” Vargas said.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Convicted killer of UHP trooper up for parole
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- 2 Utah families bonded after organ donation saved man’s life
- Man accused of attacking jogger in Kaysville at gunpoint while intoxicated
- Chad Daybell faces new charges a day after Lori Vallow appeared in court on same counts
- Police identify man killed in Sandy auto-pedestrian accident
- Bad breath behind that mask? 10 reasons and remedies for your halitosis
- Officers escort a fallen deputy’s wife across the stage at her graduation
- “Judge Judy” ending after 25 seasons
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27