SALT LAKE CITY — A new law in Utah states colleges can’t require students to prove they’ve gotten a COVID-19 vaccine to be enrolled, unless the school also allows for several exemptions.
Can colleges require a vaccine?
“It’s not necessarily strictly prohibiting it, it’s saying you can’t require proof of vaccination unless you also allow for several tyles of exemptions.” said Geoff Landward, Deputy Commissioner and General Counsel for the Utah System of Higher Education. “Essentially those [exemptions] are medical, or a personal exemption — that includes a personal or religious belief.”
The newly signed law, H.B.233, also states schools can’t force someone to take remote classes if they haven’t been vaccinated because of one of those exemptions.
“You have to allow them to come on your campus,” he said.
Rugters University in New Jersey said Friday they will be requiring their students get one of the three COVID-19 vaccines in order to attend school in-person in the fall.
The University of Utah Communications Director Chris Nelson said schools can’t actually require a vaccine that’s being used for emergency authorization, but it’s possible the school could require it “down the road.” Regardless, he said they will definitely “strongly encourage” it this year.
Amanda DeRito, associate vice president for strategic communication at Utah State University, said their school also plans to strongly encourage students to get vaccinated and will start a media campaign promoting that message.
Today’s Top Stories
- After 25 years, ‘The Far Side’ is back — with an online debut and new comics
- What Are You Getting Your Neighbors and Friends for the Holidays? Mason Jar Gifts Might Just…
- Police searching for suspect after fatal shooting of Sandy teen
- Call before you dig: Stay safe during your home projects
- The Nightside Project is Back!
- Why the US dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima 74 years ago today
- USU reports COVID-19 virus in wastewater from residence halls
- Costco to require shoppers to wear a face mask
- UDOT: Expect delays I-15 NB in Salt Lake City on Sunday
- The bubonic plague is back again in China’s Inner Mongolia