SALT LAKE CITY — A select group of Utahns will soon be able to pull-up their driver’s license on their mobile device simply by using an app.
New driver’s license program targets mobile devices
The new mobile driver’s license pilot program is being led by the Utah Department of Public Safety’s Driver License Division.
In addition to the convenience of adding identification to a mobile phone, officials say the primary benefit will be enhanced privacy. Specifically, how much information Utahns choose to provide or hide in a given situation.
“It puts the citizen in control of how they share their information,” explained Driver’s License Division Director Chris Caras. “So, if it’s an age-based purchase, you can choose to share a verification that you are of age and just the statutory requirements.”
In terms of convenience, Caras calls it a no-brainer that people will want to continue putting more resources onto their mobile devices.
“We’ve transitioned as a society over to so many things on mobile devices that this is kind of the natural progression of that,” he explained.
Looking to expand from 100 to 10,000
The pilot program is ready to begin right now with approximately 100 select participants. The hope is that the program will expand to include 10,000 Utahns by sometime this summer.
“Our Driver’s License Division is committed to working with residents and stakeholders to implement a solution which provides the highest value to Utahns: one which is accepted anywhere, provides enhanced privacy, security, and personal control,” said DPS Commissioner Jess Anderson in a statement. “Your privacy is of the utmost importance to us and the mobile driver’s license (mDL) gives you control over your data. You choose what information to share when your identification is requested.”
Today’s Top Stories
- 6.4-magnitude quake rattles Nevada
- Friends mourn Utah veterinarian shot in New Mexico
- Is the kissing bug a threat in Utah?
- Toxic algal bloom spotted on Utah Lake, a first for 2019
- Two huge snakes fall through kitchen ceiling in Australia
- UPDATE: Lori Vallow appears in court on new charges in relation to the death of missing children
- Susan Powell created a “paper trail” of evidence before her disappearance,…
- UTA offering free fare to COVID-19 vaccination appointments
- Loving Little Cottonwood Canyon to death: is a gondola the answer?
- UDOT: Expect delays I-15 NB in Salt Lake City on Sunday