Donovan Mitchell completes full practice, will be ready for Game 1 Sunday
May 20, 2021, 2:26 PM | Updated: 2:49 pm
SALT LAKE CITY– The Utah Jazz’s shooting guard Donovan Mitchell completed a full practice with the team Thursday and says he plans to be ready for game one on Sunday.
The all-star sprained his ankle in the third quarter against the Indiana Pacers on April 16. This caused Mitchell to miss his team’s final 16 games of the season where they finished 10-6 without him and were able to still finish with the league’s best record.
“Practice was good,” Mitchell said. “I got out there and competed. You can tell it’s the first time in, what is it four or five weeks? But that’s to be expected.”
X-rays initially came back negative and an MRI showed a severe ankle sprain. The Jazz’s star shooting guard says he was not going to rush himself back too soon.
“The injury wasn’t something to play with,” Mitchell said. “It wasn’t as minor as it was made out to be, I’ll leave it at that. I definitely had some hurdles.”
The team is still waiting on who its opponent will be as the NBA is still completing its play-in tournament. The Jazz will host the winner of the Golden State Warriors vs. the Memphis Grizzlies which will be played Friday. The team has not reported on if there will be a minutes restriction.
Donovan Mitchell on whether he thinks he’ll be able to play his full minutes.
“I haven’t had that conversation as far as minutes. I would like to think so.”@kslsports | #takenote
— Ben Anderson (@BensHoops) May 20, 2021
“I don’t want to go out there full bore and then hurt it again,” Mitchell said, “But at the end of the day it is the playoffs and you’ve got to go out there and you’ve got to compete and you’ve got to be ready.”
The first game will tip off at 7:30 PM and will be televised on TNT.
To read more about the Jazz and Mitchell’s status check out KSL Sports.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Suspect in custody in South Salt Lake homicide
- Nate Crandall – Blackridge Elementary
- From Addict to Ironman: Todd Crandall runs #93 tomorrow in St. George
- Mayor suspends officers involved in man’s suffocation death
- Man recovering from injuries after Saratoga Springs head-on crash
- Woman sentenced for allegedly buying biological weapon to kill roommate
- Two workers from Wasatch Electric electrocuted while working in West Valley City
- Ex-boyfriend arrested, accused of shooting a woman while she was driving