SALT LAKE CITY — Fire crews in Salt Lake City responded to a five-alarm fire at the Incline Terrace Apartments near 1000 East and 425 South after it was reported just after 2 a.m. on Monday morning.
Fire Captian Anthony Burton said as soon as the first engines were leaving their station to respond they could see flames and smoke in distance and called in for backup. When they arrived he said firefighters were met with multiple people in the six-story building trying to evacuate from the windows and the balconies.
With a fire this big, Burton said crews will be on the site for a while. “We have multiple agencies here, a five-alarm structure fire brings in mutual-aid,” Burton said.
“Unfortunately, we have fire to put out, we have water damage and we have an investigation to do which means it will be quite some time that these people will be displaced for quite some time before they can come back and get their belongings and even try to reoccupy.
“The most important thing is that no one is left unaccounted for, and that’s humans in beds, that’s why we’re here.”
The good news Burton said is that everyone was accounted for and that no residents or firefighters were injured.
The Fire Department is asking that people avoid the area between 900 and 1300 East on 400 and 500 South as they continue to work throughout the morning.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah ranked 4th for ‘Most Likely to be Catfished’ amid online dating surge
- SWAT standoff in Millcreek comes to an end; three deceased individuals discovered
- Take a Deep Breath: 5 Reasons Zermatt Utah in Midway is the Relaxing Getaway You’ve Been Looking For
- Best Friends Animal Society offers fun ideas to entertain kids and pets alike
- New evacuations, closures from Coal Hollow Fire
- Teammates, fans, NAACP defending Tyler Huntley after viral Tweet
- Authorities rescue dog after falling under avalanche ice at Stewart Falls
- My father is an addict — one child’s letter about addiction
- Missionary sent home over accusations of sextortion through Snapchat
- 191st Annual General Conference