Utah Department of Health releases COVID-19 recommendations for schools
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Department of Health officials have released their COVID-19 recommendations for schools.
In a statement released today, Utah health officials suggested a “layered prevention approach,” in K-12 schools. This includes:
- Wearing a mask when indoors
- Isolating at home if you test positive for COVID-19
- Quarantine and other protective measures after a school exposure
- Testing for COVID-19
- Staying home when you’re sick
- Physical distancing and cohorting
- Improving or increasing indoor ventilation
- Hygiene practices
- Cleaning and disinfection
- Encouraging everyone 12 years and older to get vaccinated for COVID-19
The recommendations can be found at https://coronavirus.utah.gov/education.
“We strongly recommend local health departments and schools use a layered prevention approach, including encouraging vaccination and mask wearing, among other strategies,” said Dr. Michelle Hofmann, deputy director of the UDOH. “Doing so can help minimize the disruptions of COVID-19 on schools while maximizing opportunities for children to participate in in-person learning and extracurricular activities.”
New COVID-19 recommendations for Utah schools won’t force masks
I appreciate the approach the @UtahDepOfHealth has taken to preparing the K-12 COVID-19 guidelines for the 2021-2022 school year. I certainly share the goal of keeping students in the classroom and minimizing disruptions to student learning. #utpol https://t.co/Vp9kG60jAP pic.twitter.com/LnLXr5mSqe
— Speaker Brad Wilson (@BradWilsonGOP) August 2, 2021
According to Utah Department of Health Data, just about a third of children ages 12 to 18 are currently vaccinated against COVID-19 in the state. Younger children, under age 12, still cannot receive the vaccine. Additionally, doctors raised concerns within the last week about the spread of the delta variant of COVID-19 in schools.
- Doctors worry about upcoming school year with spreading delta variant
- Cox says he’s not pushing mask mandates for Utah schools
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Wear a mask to protect yourself and others per CDC recommendations.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet).
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities).
- Obtain a flu shot.
- Seek out the COVID-19 vaccine.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707