Coach responds to Utah climber winning Olympic silver
SALT LAKE CITY – The coach of a Utah man who won silver at the Olympics in sport climbing is responding to his achievement.
Nathaniel Coleman, a native of Murray, won silver in the men’s combined final of sport climbing Thursday, Aug. 5, 2021 at the Tokyo Olympics, the first time the event has been included in the games.
“It’s been an amazing journey,” said Jeff Pedersen to Utah’s Morning News. “I’m one of the co-founders of Momentum Indoor Climbing here in Salt Lake City. Back in 2008, we started a youth climbing team, and Nathaniel was one of the original kids on that team. So to see him go from a kid kind of running round in the gym and having fun and climbing everything he could get his hands on, is incredible.”
Utah climber worked hard to reach silver
Pedersen said that Coleman has worked hard for many years to get to where he is at.
“He is so determined,” he said. “And so able to keep his focus on something that he sets his sight on that he was able to work his weaker areas over the last couple of years.”
Listen to the full interview here:
Pedersen said the silver medal is the reward for all the work the Utah climber has put in.
“It’s everything for him,” he said. “Nathaniel is a great all around climber, which is what this Olympic format was all about.”
Climbing is a sport that has been around in Utah longer than some people may realize.
“The community embraced it whole-heartedly,” Pedersen said. “Climbing, in Utah in particular, spans many generations from the 1950s to 1960s and 70s.”
Visit KSLSports.com for more information about the Utah native and climber winning silver.
Today’s Top Stories
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Law Enforcement Appreciation Month
- Restaurant owners find unique ways to stay open during COVID-19
- Missionary Training Centers to stop accepting new missionaries, Church says
- Second man arrested in connection to 7-11 Millcreek shooting
- Utah Senate debate: Republican Incumbent Mike Lee vs. Independent candidate Evan McMullin
- Alternative Anchoring Program offers better way to anchor at Lake Powell
- One person killed in Lehi crash that involved a fire truck
- Utah officials decry the dangers of new “rainbow” fentanyl
- Why are there nine justices on the Supreme Court?