SALT LAKE CITY — The wildfires in the west are still burning, and the smoke keeps drifting into the sky over Utah.
More than two million acres have burned across California, Washington, and Oregon, and there’s not much containment on the larger fires. And depending on the temperature and the movement of the jet stream, smoke from those fires drifts sporadically into Utah.
— GBCC News and Notes (@GreatBasinCC) August 25, 2021
“We had been seeing nothing but green dots, but now the yellow dots are taking over a little bit here, with a mix of good air and moderately unhealthy air,” said KSL Meteorologist Grant Weyman about the air quality map and sensors.
“Air pollution levels, unfortunately, are likely to get worse this afternoon and tonight as we get more of that smoke moving in,” he said.
Air pollution going up a bit pic.twitter.com/DQq9cnsUKR
— Grant Weyman (@KSLweyman) August 25, 2021
According to the National Interagency Fire Center, 92 large wildfires or complexes have burned this summer in the west.
States currently experiencing large fires according to the NIFC include:
#NationalFireNews: Large fires in California, Oregon and Washington continue to burn actively. Evacuation orders are in effect for residents near 17 large fires or complexes. More than 26,200 #FirefightingResources are assigned to incidents across the country. #FireYear2021 pic.twitter.com/VJIeYNmBwm
— National Interagency Fire Center (@NIFC_Fire) August 25, 2021
As more smoke rolls in Wednesday night, the air quality forecast is expected to change from yellow to orange on Thursday for Salt Lake County.
“It comes in waves, and the only way to get rid of it is to put out the fires in California, Washington and Oregon that are producing all of that smoke,” said KSL Meteorologist Kevin Eubank.
Today’s Top Stories
- Holladay Arts Council
- New “return to work” initiative for Utahns who lost jobs due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Huge haul of treasure stolen in German castle vault heist
- Predawn fire guts old church housing New York’s Liberty Bell
- 2 injured in early morning house fire in Layton
- Eilish, who gives voice to troubled youth, tops the Grammys
- Donovan Mitchell and mom talk about growing up Spida
- Facts, not fear: KSL NewsRadio’s coronavirus resource center
- Draper confirms firefighter killed in CA is one of theirs
- Historic office of the Utah Boy Scouts has closed