PROVO, Utah — The BYU Cougars have officially accepted an invitation to join the Big 12 Conference along with Cincinnati, Houston and UCF.
— KSL Sports (@kslsports) September 10, 2021
“This is an historic day for BYU Athletics – and for the entire university,” BYU President Kevin J Worthen said.
“The BYU mission statement indicates that BYU is a place where ‘a commitment to excellence is expected.’ We strive to meet that requirement in all we do, including our core academic enterprise. Membership in the Big 12 gives us the opportunity to reinforce that commitment for student-athletes, allowing them to compete at the highest level both on and off the field.”
BYU will join the Big 12 in all sports except Equestrian, rowing, wrestling and men’s volleyball.
OFFICIAL: Brigham Young University has accepted an invitation to join the Big 12 Conference. pic.twitter.com/0brQvmwSmA
— BYU (@BYU) September 10, 2021
KSL NewsRadio will have live coverage of a news conference coming from the Big 12 at 10:30. Follow all the latest updates with the move, and BYU’s big game against Utah this weekend at KSLSports.com.
Today’s Top Stories
- Bezos riding own rocket on company’s 1st flight with people
- RSV infections turning up early in Utah
- Police search for suspect in fatal shooting near 9th West and North Temple
- Will more districts follow Canyons’ lead and raise pay?
- Fort Bragg soldier who went missing Memorial Day weekend was decapitated, investigators say
- Mrs. Michelle Weiss – Rocky Mountain Elementary
- Vivint Smart Home Arena parent company merges with holding firm
- Ex-Eagle Scout accused in online drug empire to stand trial
- UTA officer injured in auto-pedestrian crash
- US, Guatemala sign agreement to restrict asylum cases