Officials searching for missing hiker at Zion National Park
SPRINGDALE, Utah — Officials at Zion National Park continued their search Friday for a missing hiker.
John Fiske Burg, 79, has been missing since Tuesday, Sept. 28 at the La Quinta hotel in Kanab around 7 a.m.
He had been staying at the La Quinta hotel with 50 other hikers. According to authorities, Burg had stated that he had a desire to hike the Canyon Overlook Trail.
Search for missing hiker focused on popular Zion trail
Burg is 5-foot-9-inches and 220 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes, with no facial hair. Authorities say he may be wearing a light yellow shirt, with a backpack and shorts.
His car was discovered at the trailhead of the Canyon Overlook Trail. According to authorities, it is not known when Burg arrived at the location.
As a result, the Overlook Trail and Pine Creek Canyon remain closed as authorities continue their search.
Authorities are asking for the assistance of the public in locating Burg. If you have information on where Burg is, you are asked to call (888) 653-0009.
- A popular Zion National Park trail could soon move to reservations only
- Missing father and sons, lost while off-roading, found safe
- Excessive heat and crowds lead to excessive calls for help in Zion National Park
- Zion ranked 4th most visited national park, as Utah ranks in top 20
Today’s Top Stories
- Second man arrested in connection to 7-11 Millcreek shooting
- Exploding Whale Memorial Park – a blast from the past is memorialized in a new park
- Boy with terminal brain cancer is giving back to other patients
- Mat and Savanna Shaw, a viral daddy-daughter singing duo sharing hope through music
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is opening 14 more temples
- Mayor announces Trader Joe’s will be coming to Draper in 2023
- The history behind el Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead
- West Jordan double homicide ‘person of interest’ in custody
- Davis County GOP leader apologizes for controversial Facebook post
- Cowboys tackle La’el Collins surprised his mom with a house for Christmas